Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mock - Mock - ing - ing - bird - bird - yeah - yeah


Tomorrow morning I will be packing and piling up the van, heading off on a three hour drive, drop off Meridith and the girls at her sisters, and make my way via subway into the heart of Manhattan in order to attend the Mockingbird 2010 conference. What is the Mockingbird conference? Mockingbird is an Anglican group who a while back discovered the Lutheran distinction between Law and Gospel, and has made it their mission to pass on this teaching which God has given the Church. From their site: "WHY: Are we called Mockingbird? The name was inspired by the mockingbird’s peculiar gift for mimicking the cries of other birds. In a similar way, we seek to repeat the message we have heard - God’s Word of grace and forgiveness."

Among other presenters at this conference will be the Rev. Dr. Rod Rosenbladt, professor of theology at Concordia University in Irvine, California and an ordained minister in the LC—MS. He has contributed to several books including Christianity for the Tough Minded, The Agony of Deceit, and Christ the Lord. His lecture “The Gospel For Those Broken By The Church” was inspirational in the formation of Mockingbird. (This lecture is available for download for a very fair price at New Reformation Press.) Rod has served as a co-host of the seminal White Horse Inn radio program since its inception twenty years ago.

5 comments:

John Zahl said...

Hey Jonathan,

It was great getting to know you and chatting on Fri night! I came across your blog some time ago I now realize. Lots to dive into and I'm sure it will prove a helpful resource. Plus, you're creative, as your alien post makes clear. I hope your Sunday went well, getting the wine & bread to mouths and the gospel to ears/hearts. I was tired, but also full of the fresh enthusiasm that came from the conference. If you ever want to get into my super weird disco/lawgospel world, you can check out my blog. There's a ton of theology in the archives, and more music recently:

http://johncampoxford.blogspot.com/

best, JAZ

John Zahl said...

There's a Koberle quote on July 10, 2008

RevFisk said...

Thanks for the shout out John. I very much appreciated the cordiality and discussion. And yes, I was very refreshed by it all.

I'll check out your blog, though...no promises...I too cut my teeth on Pink Floyd and G'n'R. Born in '78 and didn't discover music at all until '92. XD

I do plan to lurk in the network. :) Till next time!

Anonymous said...

"I too cut my teeth on Pink Floyd .... Born in '78"

Literally? The Wall came out in '79.

Ha, I was 13. Old enough to babysit you.

Thanking God, for your blog and sermons.

RevFisk said...

Thank you. :)

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.